Donnerstag, 19. März 2015

Love Is All We Need?



Warning: This is probably going to be another post where I ramble on. My speciality. 

Lately I have been thinking a lot about love. What is love, who do we love, why is love so important? When we were kids things were simple. You loved your daddy and mommy, siblings, grandparents and favorite toys - and once you're older you will meet your Prince Charming and live happily ever after. Spoiler: it's not that easy. 
Taylor Swift once said:


“When I was a little girl I used to read fairy tales. In fairy tales you meet Prince Charming and he's everything you ever wanted. In fairy tales the bad guy is very easy to spot. The bad guy is always wearing a black cape so you always know who he is. Then you grow up and you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair.”

Taylor is right. As usual, because she's Taylor. As easy as that. The older I get the more I realize how complicated things are with love. You don't just fall in love and everything is perfect for the rest of your life. Especially during the last two years or so a lot of my (female) friends haven't been treated very nicely by their significant others at some point and still decided to stay with their partners for longer than they should have. I know what you're thinking right now "Why are they so stupid to stay with someone who doesn't treat them the way they deserve?". I have been thinking that more than once, trust me. In fact I used to be that girl that stayed in a not so happy relationship longer than I should have. When I ask my friends why they don't just dump their boyfriends they always have the same response: "I love him. It'll get better". And eventually it will, but sadly mostly it won't. Hard, but true. Of course there are also my oh so bubbly, happily in love friends, but those are not the kind of people you write blog posts about, right? 



I have asked myself "why do we bother with love so much?" Now that I am not in a relationship anymore I see things much clearer than they were. I think humans are designed to need love like the air they breathe. Which is fine. But is love really all we need in life? Do we really just need that one person to be completely happy? I certainly don't think so. I do agree it is a huge part of our lives and being in love is great, but I don't necessarily think that relationships are the most important thing in life. I am sorry if I sound cynical - don't get me wrong, like I said I think love is wonderful, just not "all we need".

In my last blog post you have read about the change I made during the last half a year and some of my views on life. During the last few months I have been happier than I have been in a long time and I am single (doesn't mean that I was always super unhappy whilst I was in a relationship, to be clear. I just can 100% focus on myself now, which is very important to me at the moment.) So here is what I think is most important in life: Happiness. I truly believe that you can't live a great life if you aren't happy. Remember, you only get on shot, right? Surround yourself by your family, a good group of true friends who bring out the best in you and try to see as much of the world as you can, our planet is beautiful. Also work hard, you'll need the money to fulfill your wishes. 



To all of you hopeless romantics out there. Prince Charming will come. You might have to kiss a few frogs and maybe the person who you think is your "The One" will turn out to be more of a Rumpelstiltskin, but I truly believe that every single one of us will meet the right person someday, maybe after meeting a few wrongs before. You won't end up alone with a bunch of cats, I promise. And if you do end up without a man (which I highly doubt!) that's okay too. Cats rock. 

I would love to hear some of your fairytale stories - the good and bad ones. Email me: germerican-lj@gmx.de or tweet me @germerican_lj.

X's and O's.
L. 

What I am wearing:
Fedora Hat - ASOS
Sunglasses - ASOS
Necklace - Tiffany & Co.
Shirt - Zara
Jeans - Dr Denim
Shoes - Toms
Bag - Louis Vuitton Sac Noe 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen